The ‘Advertising is the best way to keep the internet free and open’ debate on the 27th January 2020, sponsored by the IAB, was resoundingly carried.
IN THE CHAIR
Rt Hon John Whittingdale OBE MP
Member of Parliament for Maldon and a former Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport
FOR THE MOTION
Ravleen Beeston, Managing Director UK, Microsoft Advertising & Anna-Sophie Harling, Managing Director For Europe, NewsGuard
AGAINST THE MOTION
Matt Rogerson, Head of Public Policy, The Guardian & Professor Paul Bernal Lecturer in IT, Intellectual Property & Media Law, University of East Anglia
The Debating Group has been holding debates in the House of Commons since 1975 and which the IAA UK Chapter is a founding memeber. It bring marketers, politicians, journalists and the public together to discuss the contentious political issues which surround marketing.
It hold around six debates a year, usually in Committee Room 10 of the House of Commons. Within the last year it has debated these subjects:
- The marketing sector is heading towards a skills crisis DEFEATED
- Despite Brexit, the UK will be the pre-eminent advertising hub on the world stage for years to come DEFEATED
- Client behaviour is a contributor to putting at risk the mental health of agency personnel CARRIED
- Creativity is the most important factor in a business beating its competitors CARRIED
- Marketers must adopt an ethical data framework to engender trust with their customers DEFEATED
- Magazine media is this country’s greatest cultural export CARRIED (by 1 vote)
For more information please see The Debating Group’s website or to enquire about attending please contact Will Nicholson.